Chaos Group has announced the Phoenix 3D plugin for 3ds Max has received an upgrade so animators can create even more realistic fire, liquids, smoke, and more without needing a PhD in Fluid Dynamics.
Phoenix FD 3.0 for 3ds Max has been given a full makeover, with new intuitive controls, presets and GPU-accelerated previews, making it a fast and easy way to tackle tight deadlines. The new Phoenix FD integrates seamlessly into Autodesk 3ds Max and renders with V-Ray, Chaos Group’s industry-standard lighting and rendering solution.
“Phoenix FD is like a Swiss Army knife for effects. It can handle everything from flaming arrows and drops of water to erupting volcanoes or an armada of ships,” said Svetlin Nikolov, Phoenix FD Team Lead at Chaos Group in a prepared release. “It’s a handy tool that is fast and easy to use without being overly technical.”
“Phoenix FD is our go-to tool for fluid simulations,” said Joern Grosshans, VFX Supervisor at Mackevision in a statement to the press. “When working on the new season of ‘Game of Thrones’, we needed the wakes coming off the CG ships to look as realistic as possible. Phoenix FD proved to be reliable, fast, and seamlessly integrated into 3ds Max. It was exactly what we needed.”
So what are the cool new features? I think the Ocean simulation is my favorite…
- Infinite ocean – Create infinite ocean waves that never repeat.
- Ocean & beach waves – Seamlessly transition from procedural ocean waves to simulated beach waves.
Advanced simulations and controls
- FLIP solver – Enables faster, more realistic liquid simulations for splashes, sprays, foam, mist and waves.
- Improved fire and smoke solver – Realistic smoke and fire with natural rolling motion and fine details can be created without increasing resolution.
- Cascade simulations – Create a series of simulations that trigger and interact with each other.
- Refine existing simulations – Add detail and increase resolution without changing simulation shape or behavior.
- Simulation retiming – Speed up or slow down simulation playback, perfect for slow motion effects.
- Custom emission sources – Use a wide range of emission sources including animated meshes, texture maps, particles and more.
- New forces – Influence simulations with forces like wind, spline follow, and mesh attraction.
Pipeline and compatibility
Compatibility – Compatible with top industry tools such as Alembic, Krakatoa, Stoke MX and OpenVDB.
Phoenix FD 3.0 is available now for 3ds Max and is a free upgrade for all 2.x customers. if you are new to this plugin, the Workstation license is $830 and includes one floating user license and one floating simulation license.